About this Constellation ShortList
Cloud Identity Management (CIM) is a segment of the Identity and Access Management (IDAM) Information Security category. CIM is a natural evolution of hosted identity provisioning services and has boomed over the past three to four years. Drivers for growth in this category include the scale, flexibility and elasticity of cloud services, proven superior security of cloud services, and rich identity management functionality offered by service providers with deep specialization. CIM offerings typically provide:
- Automated provisioning of enterprise identities (i.e., accounts, passwords and other authenticators)
- Directory integration (for importing existing IDs and attributes of staff, customers and other types of users, and incorporating those details into credentials)
- Full user identity lifecycle management (i.e., issuance of an identity, renewal, suspension, and deletion when a user leaves the enterprise)
- Convenient single sign-on to internal enterprise and external third-party resources
- Import of external identities (typically from social media accounts)
- Help desk
Additional CIM features are evolving rapidly and commonly include application-level integration of Office 365 products, a pre-integrated catalog of third-party applications that will seamlessly recognize the cloud-issues identity, different levels of mobility support, different multi-factor authentication mechanisms, and the option of on-prem deployment of the identity management servers.
CIM has revolutionized enterprise identity management, getting new employees online quicker, outsourcing the help desk, standardizing account lifecycle management and improving its security, broadening the utility of employee log-ons by connecting them to many more platforms and external services, and bringing newer authentication technologies into the enterprise faster.
Constellation considers the following criteria for these solutions:
- Single sign-on
- User provisioning admin functions
- Directory/LDAP integration
- Comprehensive user account lifecycle management
- Multi-factor authentication options
- Richness of the third-party application catalog
- Integration with mobile platforms
- External and social ID federation
Identity management and authentication are rapidly evolving fields and deliver mission-critical functionality to the heart of the enterprise. Constellation therefore rates the strength of the provider’s R&D program and looks for vendors committed to innovation and technological excellence.
The Constellation ShortList™
Constellation evaluates over 25 solutions categorized in this market. The Constellation ShortList is determined by client inquiries, partner conversations, customer references, vendor selection projects, market share and internal research.
- Ping Identity
- Salesforce Identity
Frequency of Evaluation
Each Constellation ShortList evaluation will be updated every 180 days as needed.
Constellation clients may work with the analyst and research team to conduct a more thorough discussion of this ShortList. Constellation can also provide guidance in vendor selection and contract negotiation.
Connect with a Constellation analyst or learn more. Click here.