About This Constellation ShortList™
This ShortList focuses on analytical data platforms that can deliver the ultimate in query performance, even in high-scale deployments. These products also support high concurrency in terms of number of queries and numbers of users. Finally, these products also handle advanced SQL and data science workloads, including machine learning, through extended support for algorithms expressed in non-SQL languages, such as Python.
This ShortList presents Constellation’s pick of analytical data platforms that are available both as software, for on-premises/private-cloud deployment, and as database services across multiple public clouds. This combination provides the best advantages of cloud computing while avoiding lock-in and fostering hybrid-deployment and cloud portability.
The name of this ShortList has been revised from “Hybrid and Multicloud relational database management systems (RDBMS)” to “Hybrid and Multicloud Anlytical Data Platforms” to emphasize their support for data science use cases beyond the boundaries of SQL/relational analysis. The vendors included on this ShortList remain unchanged since its publication in Q1 2022.
Constellation considers the following criteria for these solutions:
- Delivers state-of-the-art query performance, even in high-scale deployments scaling into the hundreds of terabytes
- Supports high concurrency, in terms of numbers of queries and numbers or users, with advanced query optimization and workload management features
- Offers advanced SQL functionality and extended support for data-science workloads expressed in non-SQL languages including Python
- Available as software for on-premises/private-cloud deployment
- Available as a cloud service on multiple major public clouds
- Database software provider supports its own cloud service, offering service guarantees and a single source for support
The Constellation ShortList™
Constellation evaluates more than 20 solutions categorized in this market. This Constellation ShortList is determined by client inquiries, partner conversations, customer references, vendor selection projects, market share and internal research.
- Oracle Database
- SAP HANA/SAP Data Warehouse Cloud
- Teradata Vantage/Vantage Cloud
- Vertica/Vertica Accelerator
Frequency of Evaluation
Each Constellation ShortList is updated at least once per year. Updates may occur after six months if deemed necessary.
Constellation clients can work with the analyst and research team to conduct a more thorough discussion of this Constellation ShortList. Constellation can also provide guidance in vendor selection and contract negotiation.