About This Constellation ShortList™
In the year since Constellation Research last updated this ShortList, the patterns and expectations for engagement between brands and mass consumers has changed dramatically attributable to everything from a global pandemic to local and regional cultural and political upheavals. It is not enough to create repeatable digital-and ad-based communications to foster customer loyalty, advocacy and profitable awareness and demand. Organizations had to rapidly embracing new opportunities to build more direct connections with consumers and end buyers.
Business-to-Consumer (B2C) marketing teams are seeking sophisticated marketing automation solutions that collect, segment, and analyze customer signals and data to deliver more relevant, contextual, and valued interactions. Marketers expect capabilities to track and predict customer behavior, facilitate product marketing, improve personalization, and build and nurture customer relationships at scale and speed—all while navigating a changing landscape of data privacy regulations. Scalability is no longer a long-term aspiration and increasingly top of mind as brands raced to rapidly expand global reach to achieve growth. Data analytics tools must track and validate the impact of marketing efforts on customer conversion. Artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning capabilities are par for the course. Smart, “trainable” tools are being applied to market segmentation, channel management and campaign performance. Solutions to power “self-service” AI-driven interactions that better put the customer in the journey driver’s seat are on the new consideration list.
And all of this must come in a sleek, easy-to-deploy and easier-to-manage system that can span large, often global teams across multiple brands and lines of business.
Constellation considers the following criteria for these offerings:
- Ease of use, user interface with role-based dashboards and views
- Quickly and easily design and deploy cross-channel campaigns
- Intuitive visual journey workflow creation and management
- Robust segmentation capabilities, rules-based offer management
- Integrated customer profiles
- Customer preference, identity resolution and management
- Multimedia asset creation, utilization and robust digital asset management
- Facilitate and track advertising mediums, retargeting
- Social listening and engagement capabilities or integrations
- Expanded messaging capability to include valued channels like WhatsApp and SMS
- Web, mobile and digital campaign personalization
- Behavioral tracking and testing
- Multichannel campaign attribution
- Marketplace for integrations and connections across the larger CX stack
- Workflow and collaboration tools
- Integration and visibility to commerce systems and teams
- Product vision and road map, emphasis on AI and attribution
- Aggregated analytics and role-based reporting
- Integration with commerce, data, and enterprise resource planning systems
The Constellation ShortList™
Constellation evaluates 50 solutions categorized in this market. This Constellation ShortListis determined by client inquiries, partner conversations, customer references, vendor selection projects, market share and internal research. The enterprise category is defined as companies with a broad geographical reach, multiple lines of business, and/or more than 3,000 employees. (In alphabetical order):
- Acquia Marketing Cloud
- Acoustic Campaign
- Adobe Journey Optimizer
- HCL Unica
- Oracle Marketing Cloud
- Salesforce Marketing Cloud
- SAP Marketing Cloud, Emarsys
- SAS Marketing Automation
Frequency of Evaluation
Each Constellation ShortList will be updated at least once per year. There could be an update after six months, should the analyst deem it necessary.
Constellation clients may work with the analyst and research team to conduct a more thorough discussion, vendor selection and contract negotiation.