About This Constellation ShortList™
It’s impossible to democratize data-driven decision-making if the data is only accessible through IT. Self-service data preparation products enable analysts, data scientists and even data-savvy business users to get their hands on the data. These products support agile data discovery and exploration as well as data blending, transformation, enrichment and delivery to a variety of analytical environments.
Self-service data prep eliminates the IT queue, enabling data-savvy users from outside of IT to come up with valuable new combinations of data blending traditional data with social, mobile, geospatial and time-series information. The best products combine ease of use with flexibility tied to myriad data connection, profiling, transformation, enrichment and delivery options. They also foster collaboration while providing data-access and governance controls.
This update adds DataRobot, which in December 2019 acquired Paxata, a vendor previously on our Self-Service Data Preparation list. Constellation is monitoring the progress of the post-merger integration and will assess DataRobot’s commitment to Paxata’s product road map and service to its customers.
Constellation considers the following criteria for these solutions:
- Capable data connection, exploration and machine-learning-assisted profiling capabilities
- Approachable for a range of data-savvy users through intuitive user interfaces and guided by computer-generated recommendations
- Flexible data blending, transformation and enrichment options and recommendations
- Balanced support for sharing, repeatability and control through collaboration, reusable recipe and governance features
- Independent, with stand-alone deployment and myriad data-delivery options
The Constellation ShortList™
Constellation evaluates more than 15 solutions categorized in this market. This Constellation ShortList is determined by client inquiries, partner conversations, customer references, vendor selection projects, market share, and internal research.
Frequency of Evaluation
Each Constellation ShortList will be updated once per year. There could be an update after six months, should the analyst deem it necessary.
Constellation clients can work with the analyst and research team to conduct a more thorough discussion of this Constellation ShortList. Constellation can also provide guidance in vendor selection and contract negotiation.