About This Constellation ShortList™
Enterprise group messaging platforms enable people to share information; ask questions; post pictures, videos and links; and access line-of-business applications, all within a stream or newsfeed-like user experience. These platforms serve as team-based “collaboration hubs,” combining conversations, content and business data into a single user interface. They also create a more seamless experience because the user doesn’t have to switch between multiple applications. These aggregated experiences improve the context of conversations, decisions and business processes.
The top vendors in this space require more than just the standard checklist of features. It is important to have a robust and enthusiastic partner ecosystem that develops integrations, which extend the value of the platform. These add-ons enable people to get work done in specific business processes and industry verticals.
To win in the enterprise market, vendors must have a platform that is highly scalable, is secure and has a global footprint. It must meet administration requirements for managing people, groups and content.
Constellation considers the following criteria for these offerings:
- Administration controls, governance and compliance
- Analytics, metrics and dashboards
- Application development: APIs/SDKs, documentation, samples
- Business operations: funding, acquisitions, executive leadership
- Business partner ecosystem
- Channel types: public, private, broadcast, direct messages
- Client options: desktop, web, mobile, wearables
- Collaboration features
- Customer references
- Deployment options: on-premises, cloud, hybrid, data center locations
- Integration with other business tools and platforms
- Licensing options
- Search and discovery
- Templated solutions and use cases
- Unified communication features: voice, video, screen sharing
The Constellation ShortList™
Constellation evaluates more than 20 solutions categorized in this market. This Constellation ShortList is determined by client inquiries, partner conversations, customer references, vendor selection projects, market share and internal research.
- Cisco Webex Teams
- Google Hangouts Chat
- Microsoft Teams
- RingCentral Glip
- Slack Enterprise Grid
- Workplace from Facebook
- Zoho Cliq
Frequency of Evaluation
Each Constellation ShortList will be updated once per year. There could be an update after six months, should the analyst deem it necessary.
Constellation clients can work with the analyst and research team to conduct a more thorough discussion of this ShortList. Constellation can also provide guidance in vendor selection and contract negotiation.