About This Constellation ShortList™
Enterprise Group Messaging platforms enable people to share information, ask questions, post pictures, videos and links, and integrate data and processes from line-on-business applications. These platforms serve as “collaboration hubs,” enabling conversations to take place in chat-centric streams, thus reducing the dependency and misuse of other communication channels, such as email.
The top vendors in this space require more than just the standard checklist of features. It is important to have a robust and enthusiastic partner ecosystem that develops integrations, which extend the value of the platform. These add-ons enable people to get work done in specific business processes and industry verticals.
To win in the enterprise market, vendors must have a platform that is highly scalable, secure and has a global footprint. It must meet administration requirements for managing people, groups and content.
Constellation considers the following criteria for these offerings:
- Administration controls, governance and compliance
- Application Development: APIs/SDKs, documentation, samples
- Business operations: funding, acquisitions, executive leadership
- Business partner ecosystem
- Channel types: public, private, broadcast, direct messages
- Client options: desktop, web, mobile, wearables
- Collaboration features
- Customer references
- Deployment options: on-premises, cloud, hybrid, data-center locations
- Integration with other business tools/platforms
- Licensing options
- Task/project/process management features
- Templated solutions/use cases
- Unified communication features: voice, video, screen sharing
The Constellation ShortList
Constellation evaluates more than 20 solutions in this market. This Constellation ShortList is determined by client inquiries, partner conversations, vendor selection projects, and internal research.
Note: There are several other messaging vendors that focus on consumer or personal-level communications that are not included in this list as they are not considered enterprise-grade.
- Cisco Webex Teams
- Google Hangouts Chat
- IBM Watson Workspace
- Microsoft Teams
- RingCentral Glip
- Slack Enterprise Grid
- Workplace by Facebook
Frequency of Evaluation
Each Constellation ShortList evaluation will be updated every 180 days as needed.
Constellation clients may work with the analyst and research team to conduct a more thorough discussion of this ShortList. Constellation can also provide guidance in vendor selection and contract negotiation.
Connect with a Constellation analyst or learn more. Click here.