About This Constellation ShortList™
When people are faced with mundane or repetitive tasks, their employee satisfaction dropsand the quality of their work suffers. Thankfully, there are applications available that help automate rote work and therefore alleviate some of these tasks, improving the quality of work as well as reducing the costs of that work. These tools are referred to as robotic process automation (RPA).
RPA software is trained to understand the workflows or business processes in which human employees are responsible. This could range from data entry to intricate steps in a loan application or insurance claim. Instead of relying on complex programming languages, the software robots can be easily configured or trained using low-code or no-code approaches that allow configuration through visual process maps, process definitions, and even watch-and-learn training.
While the RPA market is converging with existing business process management (BPM) and workflow tools, this evaluation considers the standalone vendors. Buyers should expect these tools to leverage artificial intelligence (AI) to blur the lines between human and machine processes.
Constellation considers the following criteria for these solutions:
- Attended and unattended features for AI learning and operation
- Server-and cloud-based solutions
- Data pooling, cleaning, and collection
- Bot development, including low code and no code creation
- Control room operations
- Reporting tools and analytics
- Automatic scale-up/down and fault recovery
- Macro or scripted automation
- Templates and use cases for BPM
- Plug-in architecture tools, frameworks and integration
- Automation management features including IT and DevOps support
- Product versus services focus
- Robust input/output options
The Constellation ShortList™
Constellation evaluates more than 45 solutions categorized in this market. This Constellation ShortListis determined by client inquiries, partner conversations, customer references, vendor selection projects, market share, and internal research.
- Automation Anywhere
- Blue Prism
- Kofax RPA
- Microsoft Power Automate
- Nintex RPA
Frequency of Evaluation
Each Constellation ShortListwill be updated once per year. There could be an update after six months, should the analyst deem it necessary.
Constellation clients can work with the analyst and research team to conduct a more thorough discussion, vendor selection and contract negotiation.