Employees are adopting generative AI tools to accomplish work tasks even though enterprises are lagging with official policies, according to a survey from The Conference Board.
The survey found that 56% of workers are using generative AI on the job with almost 10% of them using the technology daily. The catch is that 26% of respondents say their organization has a generative AI use policy, said The Conference Board.
Another 23% of employees noted that their companies have generative AI policies under development.
In the big picture, generative AI adoption is following the same pattern as mobile and cloud. Employees often lead the way with new technologies before employers officially adopt them.
The big issue for enterprises, however, is segmenting corporate data from generative AI. Without policies and generative AI tools in place, employees will roll their own tech stack. Vendors are racing to provide features and rolling out pricing plans.
- Get ready for a parade of domain specific LLMs
- Generative AI features starting to launch, next comes potential sticker shock
- How AI workloads will reshape data center demand
- Enterprise tech buyers wary of generative AI hype, security
The Conference Board survey was based on nearly 1,100 US employees.
Among the key findings from The Conference Board survey:
- 31% report using generative AI frequently with 17% using the technology weekly.
- 44% of employees have never used generative AI.
- Of those that have adopted generative AI, 71% say management is at least partially aware.
- 68% said drafting written content was the primary use case for generative AI followed by 60% who said brainstorming ideas was a use case.
- 19% of employees said they're using generative AI for analyzing data and making forecasts.
- 45% said that generative AI quality is equal to an experienced worker with 31% saying quality is equal to a novice worker.
- 63% said generative AI positively impacted productivity.
- 33% said AI will replace elements of their job in a positive way with 4% saying it will have a negative impact.