About This Constellation ShortList™
Data is the lifeblood of organizations, powering insight into the latest business conditions, accelerating business decisions, driving better customer experience and powering new business models. Yet the task of ensuring that data is accessible, secure and well governed has never been more challenging. Data-generating applications are multiplying and moving into the cloud, self-service initiatives are opening up access to data to more users, and data stores are now measured by the tens or hundreds of terabytes if not petabytes.
Metadata management vendors have emerged that can provide visibility into data and related assets—whether on-premises, in the cloud, or spread across hybrid-and multicloud deployments—while also ensuring comprehensive data governance. Enterprise data catalogs have gained traction as the way to make data more visible to all users. Leading metadata management vendors also address data governance needs, such as standardization of metadata, tracking of lineage, stewardship, and enforcement of data policies.
Microsoft Purview has been added to this ShortList, having matured beyond the cloud-centric focus of Azure Purview to address hybrid and multi-cloud deployments.
Constellation considers the following criteria for these solutions:
- Find data and metadata across multiple sources— products create a centralized reference index of data that is accessible and understandable by both technical and business users
- Machine learning—automatically discovers data assets and detects usage patterns
- Collaboration capabilities—enables technical and business users to rate and review data assets, annotate what’s known about them and, if authorized, reject or modify tags and classifications
- Business glossary integration—helps users understand the definitions of data identified in the data catalog
- Supports data lineage, data governance and data access control – provides business rule insights, and policy-management and enforcement capabilities
The Constellation ShortList™
Constellation evaluates more than a dozen solutions categorized in this market. This Constellation ShortList is determined by client inquiries, partner conversations, customer references, vendor selection projects, market share and internal research.
Frequency of Evaluation
Each Constellation ShortList is updated at least once per year. Updates may occur after six months if deemed necessary.
Constellation clients can work with the analyst and the research team to conduct a more thorough discussion of this ShortList. Constellation can also provide guidance in vendor selection and contract negotiation.