About This Constellation ShortList™
The next generation of business intelligence (BI) and analytics products are harnessing generative artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning (ML), other forms of data science and automation to improve data access and data quality, suggest data sources and analyses, uncover previously hidden insights, and serve up predictions and suggest actions. Natural language (NL) query interfaces and NL generation features harnessing generative AI are making it easier for users without knowledge of query languages to develop insights and make better decisions based on data.
These emerging AI-, ML-, automation- and NL-based features are best known as “augmented analytics” capabilities. Constellation sees augmented analytics as the next step for these products, bringing analytics to more users and closer to driving human decisions and automated actions.
With this Q3 2023 update, TIBCO Spotfire has been dropped from this ShortList for lack of progress in integrating generative AI capabilities.
Constellation considers the following criteria for these solutions:
- Smart data-prep capabilities, including data profiling, cleansing and formatting, data-join recommendations, data enrichment and publishing, and governance capabilities
- Smart data discovery and analysis capabilities, including automated discovery, recommended tables and sources, and recommended visualizations
- Intent-driven recommendations based on behavior patterns by user, group, role, permissions, item popularity and data source
- Native or third-party natural language query and generation capabilitiessupporting data exploration and analysis, and textual explanations providing context and supporting improved human understanding
- Integration of cutting-edge generative AI capabilities, used for code generation and/or enhanced data prep, NL query, analysis, and NL explanations
- Smart predictive capabilities, including simple trending and more advanced automated forecasting and predictive modeling
The Constellation ShortList™
Constellation evaluates more than 30 solutions categorized in this market. This Constellation ShortList is determined by client inquiries, partner conversations, customer references, vendor selection projects, market share and internal research.
- MICROSOFT POWER BI
- ORACLE ANALYTICS CLOUD
- QLIK SENSE
- SAP ANALYTICS CLOUD
- TABLEAU (SALESFORCE)
Frequency of Evaluation
Each Constellation ShortList is updated at least once per year. Updates may occur after six months if deemed necessary.
Constellation clients can work with the analyst and the research team to conduct a more thorough discussion of this ShortList. Constellation can also provide guidance in vendor selection and contract negotiation.