About This Constellation ShortList™
The next generation of business intelligence (BI) and analytics products are harnessing heuristics, machine learning (ML) and automation to improve data access and data quality, suggest data sources and analyses, uncover previously hidden insights, and serve up predictions and suggest actions. Natural language (NL) query interfaces and NL generation features are making it easier for users without knowledge of query languages to develop insights and make better decisions based on data.
In the BI and analytics arena, these emerging ML-, automation- and NL-based features are best known as “smart” or “augmented analytics” capabilities. Constellation sees smart analytics as the next step for BI and analytics. It will bring analytics closer to driving decisions and automated actions that may or may not require human analysis and interpretation.
With this Q3 2019 update, this list adds Qlik Sense and the SAP Analytics Cloud. Qlik Sense was added on the strength of Qlik’s January 2019 acquisition of Crunch Data and subsequent integration of sophisticated natural language understanding capabilities. Qlik also added an Associative Insights feature that spots previously latent insights. SAP has a range of smart capabilities in the SAP Analytics Cloud, including ML-assisted data prep; Smart Insight, Discovery, Grouping and Predict features; Conversational Analytics; and Forecasting and Value Driver Tree analysis for planning.
Constellation considers the following criteria for these solutions:
- Smart data-prep capabilities, including data profiling, cleansing and formatting, data-join recommendations, data enrichment and publishing, and governance capabilities.
- Smart data-discovery and analysis capabilities, including automated discovery, recommended tables and sources, and recommended visualizations.
- Intent-driven recommendations based on behavior patterns by user, group, role, permissions, item popularity and data source.
- Native or third-party natural language generation capabilities providing supporting textual
descriptions around analyses for context and improved understanding.
- Natural language query capabilities that support data exploration and analysis through typed in (or speech-to-text translated) conversational language rather than SQL code.
- Smart predictive capabilities, including simple trending and more advanced automated forecasting and predictive modeling
The Constellation ShortList™
Constellation evaluates more than 30 solutions categorized in this market. The Constellation ShortList is determined by client inquiries, partner conversations, customer references, vendor selection projects, market share, and internal research.
- IBM Cognos Analytics
- Microsoft Power BI
- Oracle Analytics Cloud
- Qlik Sense
- Salesforce Einstein Analytics
- SAP Analytics Cloud
Frequency of Evaluation
Each Constellation ShortList evaluation will be updated every 180 days as needed.
If you would like to put our extensive expertise in vendor selections and contact negotiations to work for you, please contact us at ShortList@constellationr.com