Get All 10 Lessons Learned From Disrupting Digital Business
As with the beginning of every revolution, those in the midst of it can feel it, sense it, and realize that something big is happening. Yet it’s hard to quantify the shift. The data isn’t clear. It’s hard to measure. Pace of change is accelerating. Old rules seem not to apply.
Sometimes when you are in the thick of it, it’s hard to describe what’s happening. In the case of digital business, these models have progressed over the past 20 years. However, non-traditional competitors have each exploited a few patterns with massive success. However, as the models evolved, winners realize there are more than a handful of patterns.
In fact, the impact is significant and now quantifiable with 52% of the Fortune 500 gone since 2000 and the average age of the S&P 500 company in 1960 is down from 60 years to a little more than 12 projected in 2020. That is a 500% compression that has changed the market landscape forever in almost every industry.
Over the course of the next 10 weeks, I’ll be sharing one lesson per week. For traditional businesses to succeed, they will have to apply all 10 lessons from Disrupting Digital Business in order to not only survive, but also relearn how to thrive.
Democratize Distribution With P2P Networks
Digital scale comes from two areas that focus on stripping out friction and transaction costs. Any situation where you can strip out the middleman and go direct, you win. However, where there are networks to participate in, there must be a good exchange of value.
- Participate in P2P Networks – So when we talked about network economies in Lesson 6, the goal is to cultivate P2P networks as part of the network economy strategy. Organizations who build their network economy of P2P can create a situation where selfish value exchange creates trust and transparency in the network.
- Develop co-innovation and co-creation platforms – In some cases the solution to stripping out friction and transaction costs is to create your own platform. Organizations who open up their platform to spur innovation can find themselves gaining digital scale adoption .
Easier said then done, but the best way to strip out transaction costs is to reexamine the customer journey. Try this tried and true approach:
- Start with a journey map;
- Begin with your key personas;
- From there, list out your brand promises;
- Then list out your outcomes expected;
- Tie each outcome to a journey map;
- From the journey map tie each journey to a channel and then to an organization or person.
- Determine the internal and external organizations or person.
Take a hard look at that journey map. In any case where you are tied to an organization or person, ask yourself why they are there. Can the journey be accomplished with less people or organizations? Then take a look to see how many internal vs external organizations or people are in the journey. For all the external organizations or people, find out if they are adding value on your platform or on theirs. Once you’ve gone through this process, you can either strip out the transaction costs by eliminating organizations or people; and/or add value added nodes to your network, not someone else’s.
The Complete 10 Lessons Learned From Disrupting Digital Business
For those attending the full keynotes and book tours, you’ll get the complete session and in many cases a copied of a signed booked. For those following virtually, I’ve provided the slimmed down slide share deck for your use.
You now have the 10 lessons learned to disrupt digital business in your hands. You can take this information and change the world in front of you or choose to sit on the knowledge as the world passes you by and digital darwinism consumes your organization.
I trust you will do the right thing. And when you want some company, come join us as a client at Constellation Research where we’re not afraid of the future and the art of the possible.
Get The Book Now Before Digital Darwinism Impacts You
Are you ready to disrupt digital business? Have you ordered the book?
Please let us know if you need help with your Digital Business transformation efforts. Here’s how we can assist:
- Developing your digital business strategy
- Connecting with other pioneers
- Sharing best practices
- Vendor selection
- Implementation partner selection
- Providing contract negotiations and software licensing support
- Demystifying software licensing