About This Constellation ShortList™
Much hype has been made about the metaverse. However, very few organizations have fully grasped the impact the metaverse will have on experiences and engagement for both the consumer world and the enterprise. More than just gaming worlds or hardware devices, the metaverse economy brings new opportunities for brands and enterprises to bring their physical presence and 3D digital presences together in one unified offering to their stakeholders—customers, employees, partners, and suppliers.
Previous efforts in extended reality (for example, AR/MR/VR) have not succeeded in recreating the abstraction of the real world. The process to build metaverse worlds will be incremental, and the challenge behind the metaverse is to create metaverse applications, which has been tedious, time-consuming, and slow so far.
Metaverse development platforms seek to expedite the creation of metaverse applications and worlds. These platforms should provide the building blocks to support multiple use cases. Constellation estimates the overall metaverse economy to be worth a market cap of $20.7T by 2030.
To be included in the Constellation ShortList, vendors need to support at least one of the universal metaverse use cases, have 100-plus customers, and demonstrate a multiyear track record to operate and grow metaverse solutions.
Constellation considers the following criteria for these solutions:
- Ability to deploy metaverse apps into the common metaverse worlds (see Constellation ShortList “Metaverse Worlds”)
- Support at least two key metaverse constructs out of the box
- Code logic
- Real-world map/3D support - Resilience/failover
- Support of popular cloud platforms
- At least 10K developers on the platform
- Modern training and learning offerings
- A working multiyear track record to operate and grow metaverse solutions
- Functional coverage of at least two metaverse use cases
from the following list:
- Collaboration and meetings
- Internal comms
- Digital twins
- Advertising and search
- Customer service and support - Live events
The Constellation ShortList™
Constellation evaluates more than 40 solutions categorized in this market. The Constellation ShortList is determined by client inquiries, partner conversations, customer references, vendor selection projects, market share and internal research.
- NAVER Z
Frequency of Evaluation
Each Constellation ShortList is updated at least once per year. Updates may occur after six months if deemed necessary.
Constellation clients can work with the analyst and the research team to conduct a more thorough discussion of this ShortList. Constellation can also provide guidance in vendor selection and contract negotiation.