About This Constellation ShortList™
A low-code tool or platform allows application developers to create software solutions with minimal skill and effort. For the purposes of this list, a low-code tool is distinct from a low-code platform if it’s not a self-contained foundation upon which low-code applications run. Either type of low-code solution can be used to develop complete software applications that are built in very short amounts of time, often in just hours or days.
Enterprise low-code solutions, as distinct from citizen developer low-code solutions such as IFTTT, are specifically designed for use in more sophisticated and complex business environments and take into account the unique requirements of larger organizations. These requirements typically include security, integration, performance, manageability, governance, support, and vendor capabilities/history.
A low-code tool or platform helps business and IT users create targeted software solutions at a much lower cost that can address corporate IT backlogs. Low-code tools and platforms can also enable both centralized and grassroots digital transformation by accelerating and democratizing the process of digitizing the business while maximizing budget in the process. Finally, they are a key platform to allow important extensions of next-generation applications (see here).
Constellation considers the following criteria for these solutions:
- 250+ customers live
- Customers on at least 3 continents
- Support for customers on all continents
- Ease-of-use with minimal coding or technical expertise
- Compelling visual application development model
- Strong integration capabilities with local and cloud-based systems
- Wide range of integration types and sources
- Richness and robustness of the resulting applications
- Effective desktop and mobile user experience
- Secure, fine-grained access control
- Ability to deploy code assets to public cloud platforms
- Ability and/or road map to leverage AI/ML in automated processes
- Management and governance features that handle large numbers of apps
- Support for application templates and organization branding
- Support for leading version control and application life-cycle management (ALM) tools
The Constellation ShortList™
Constellation evaluates more than 30 solutions categorized in this market. This Constellation ShortList is determined by client inquiries, partner conversations, customer references, vendor selection projects, market share and internal research.
- Google AppSheet
- Mendix by Siemens
- Oracle APEX
- ServiceNow Now Platform
- VINYL by Zudy
- Volt MX by HCL Software
- Zoho Creator Platform
Frequency of Evaluation
Each Constellation ShortList is updated at least once per year. Updates may occur after six months if deemed necessary.
Constellation clients can work with the analyst and research team to conduct a more thorough discussion of this Constellation ShortList. Constellation can also provide guidance in vendor selection and contract negotiation.