About This Constellation ShortList™
A low-code tool or platform allows application developers to create software solutions with minimal skill and effort. For the purposes of this list, a low-code tool is distinct from a low- code-platform if it’s not a self-contained foundation upon which low-code applications run. Either type of low-code solution can be used to develop complete software applications that are built in very short amounts of time, often in just hours or days.
Enterprise low-code solutions, as distinct from more consumer-oriented low-code solutions such as IFTTT, are specifically are designed for the use in more sophisticated and complex business environments and take into account the unique requirements of the larger organizations. These requirements typically include security, integration, performance, manageability, governance, support and vendor capabilities/history.
A low-code tool or platform helps business and IT users to create targeted software solutions at a much lower cost that can address corporate IT backlogs. Low-code tools and platforms can also enable both centralized and grassroots digital transformation by accelerating and democratizing the process of digitizing the business while maximizing budget in the process. Finally, they are key platforms to allow important extension of next-generation applications (see here).
Constellation considers the following criteria for these solutions, taking into account capabilities from stable third-party marketplace providers if required:
- Ease of use with minimal coding or technical expertise
- Compelling visual application development model
- Strong integration capabilities with local and cloud-based systems
- Wide range of integration types and sources
- Richness and robustness of the resulting applications
- Effective desktop and mobile user experience
- Secure, fine-grained access control
- Ability to deploy code assets to public cloud platforms
- Support for application templates and organization branding
- Support for leading version control and application life-cycle management (ALM) tools
The Constellation ShortList™
Constellation evaluates more than 25 solutions categorized in this market. This Constellation ShortList is determined by client inquiries, partner conversations, customer references, vendor selection projects, market share, and internal research.
- Google App Maker/AppSheet
- Mendix by Siemens
- Microsoft PowerApps
- Oracle APEX
- Salesforce Lightning
- VINYL by Zudy
- Zoho Creator
Frequency of Evaluation
Each Constellation ShortList will be updated at least once per year. There could be an update after six months, should the analyst deem it necessary.
Constellation clients can work with the analyst and research team to conduct a more thorough discussion of this Constellation ShortList. Constellation can also provide guidance in vendor selection and