About This Constellation ShortList™
Augmented reality (AR) platforms provide software development kits (SDK) for developers of interactive experiences that take real-world objects and enhance them with digital experiences such as visual, haptic, auditory, olfactory and somatosensory.
AR systems deliver a real-time interaction in a combination of real and virtual worlds. In addition, these systems can delivery proportional and accurate 3D registration of virtual and real objects.AR is a subcategory of the many mixed reality (MR) experiences offered in the market. AR is different than virtual reality (VR) because AR experiences start with the reality in front of the user, unlike virtual reality, which provides a representation or perception of reality.
The Augmented Reality Platforms ShortListfocuses on the software platforms that support various types of hardware platforms from display, eyeglasses, heads-up display (HUD), contact lenses, virtual retina displays and mobile devices.
Constellation estimates this market will grow to $72.3 billion by 2026.
Constellation considers the following key criteria for these solutions:
- Support for platforms such as Android, iOS, UWP and Unity Editor
- Text recognition
- 2D recognition
- 3D recognition
- Light estimation
- Distance capture of at last 1 meter
- Recognition stability of immovable markers
- Recognition stability of movable markers
- Support for simultaneous localization and mapping (SLAM)
- Recognition of environments, environmental understanding, scene recognition
- Motion tracking and recording
- Place virtual objects on surfaces
- QR code tracker
- Smart glasses calibration
- pp cloud packaging
- Camera calibration and optical stereo calibration
- Optical head-mounted support
- Easy-to-manage APIs
The Constellation ShortList™
Constellation evaluates more than 30 solutions categorized in this market. The Constellation ShortListis determined by client inquiries, partner conversations, customer references, vendor selection projects, market share and internal research.
- Amazon Sumerian
- Apple ARKit
- Bosch Common Augmented Reality Platform (CAP)
- Facebook Spark AR Studio
- Google ARCore
- Magic Leap
- Mixed Reality Toolkit (Unity)
- Vuforia Engine
Frequency of Evaluation
Each Constellation ShortList will be updated at least once per year. There could be an update after six months, should the analyst deem it necessary.
Constellation clients may work with the analyst and research team to conduct a more thorough discussion of this ShortList. Constellation can also provide guidance in vendor selection and contract negotiation.