About This Constellation ShortList™
Quantum computing describes an approach to computing using quantum mechanical phenomena such as entanglement and superposition. The goal is to apply a probabilistic model to solve problems more quickly. Quantum computing is such a radical new way of computing that it needs software to be rewritten to take advantage of the platform.
Originally, vendors had to solve the hardware challenges related to quantum computing—but as platforms matured, some even argue quantum superior- ity has been reached—the focus has moved to the software platforms that operate these quantum platforms. This Constellation ShortList is the combination of the already multi-year published Constellation ShortList Quantum Computing Platforms and Constellation ShortList Quantum Computing Software Platforms. Only vendors that have passed both single ShortLists can be on this ShortList.
As technology matures, suites have always won in the enterprise. Constel- lation foresees the same thing happening for quantum technology, where enterprises will both procure and use hardware and software together— ideally from the same vendor.
Quantum computing at the moment is most promising for use cases of annealing, adiabatic optimization, chemistry, cryptography, financial markets, machine learning, search, and simulation in the next 12–18 months, so not surprisingly the vendor focus is on enabling these.
Enterprises are looking for holistic solutions beyond hardware, so vendors included in this list also offer related products and services that accelerate enterprise adoption. These can be in the areas of platform services, cloud services, programming languages, Q&A/testing, administration services, early adjacent products, and more.
Constellation considers the following criteria for these solutions:
- Multiple generations of working quantum machine
- A working quantum computing enabling product
- Available since three-plus years for customer use
- At least two adjacent products, software, services, or other offerings next to hardware
- Active work on three to five enterprise use cases
- At least 50 or more active customer/prospect conversations and/or beta/live customers
- Working actively on accelerating popular quantum computing use cases
- Active relationships with two or more quantum computing hardware vendors (unless being a quantum computing hardware vendor)
- At least 75 or more active customer/prospect conversations and/or beta/live customers
- Sufficient funding to remain a player at least in the early rounds of the quantum computing market
The Constellation ShortList™
Constellation evaluates more than 20 solutions categorized in this market. This Constellation ShortList is determined by client inquiries, partner conversations, customer references, vendor selection projects, market share and internal research.
- RIGETTI COMPUTING
Frequency of Evaluation
Each Constellation ShortList is updated at least once per year. Updates may occur after six months if deemed necessary.
Constellation clients can work with the analyst and research team to conduct a more thorough discussion of this Constellation ShortList. Constellation can also provide guidance in vendor selection and contract negotiation.