About This Constellation ShortList™
Gig economy platforms for the enterprise bring together online hiring and employment processes with supporting features such as recruitment, onboarding, task tracking and project management. These are combined with supporting business models, employer demand signals and operational analytics to deliver on a newer, richer, nimbler form of employment.
A more capable and mature version of online freelancing services, these platforms focus on matching employers with individuals and teams ready to work in professional services, information technology (IT) and other white- collar jobs. They also stay closely involvement during the “gig” itself, handle many of the matching, transaction, tracking, communications and payment details for each of the respective parties.
Effective gig economy platforms for the enterprise also have analytics to track work progress over time, provide useful insights to improve quality of work, as well as project management features to track work across matrixed groups of full-time and gig workers on a given effort. Reputational and historical performance features ensure that both gig workers and employers are matched based on their prior ability to deliver.
Constellation considers the following criteria for these solutions:
- Administrative controls and configuration/customization features
- Analytics/metrics/dashboards/visualizations of gig work and projects
- Responsive user experience and mobile apps
- Performance management features
- Compliance/governance features and certifications
- Extensibility (APIs/SDKs, documentation, samples, training)
- Enabling business models for workers and employers
- Gig work features: worker profiles, employer profiles, curation, gig listings, contracting, onboarding, task/project management, billing, reviews, offboarding
- Portfolio management across gigs for workers, workers/teams for employers, including risk management and customer success
- Integration with related business tools/platforms, including human capital management, accounting systems, etc.
- Online problem resolution desk
- Search and discovery capabilities
- Spend and backlog tracking
- Security (access roles, administration roles, transport and storage, encryption key ownership)
The Constellation ShortList™
Constellation evaluates more than 30 solutions categorized in this market. This Constellation ShortList is determined by client inquiries, partner conversations, customer references, vendor selection projects, market share and internal research.
- Business Talent Group
- Freelancer Enterprise
- Upwork Enterprise
Frequency of Evaluation
Each Constellation ShortList will be updated at least once per year. There could be an update after six months, should the analyst deem it necessary.
Constellation clients may work with the analyst and research team to conduct a more thorough discussion, vendor selection and contract negotiation.