About this Constellation ShortList™
As enterprises are faced with business best-practice uncertainty due to Infinite Computing (for more, see here), they need to build software again in-house. They create next-generation applications, typically on cloud- based platforms, where for the first time in computing history, they don’t have direct access to the physical infrastructure. This requires them to formalize their DevOps processes. “Infrastructure becomes software” is how this is described, and it becomes a programmatic way to manage infrastructure.
In the process of building and deploying software again, enterprises learn that there is nothing more costly than having software and not being able to deploy it. All this turns the attention to the development process and makes CTOs and CIOs look for DevOps vendors. These fall into four vendor categories: platform, best-of-breed, platform-as-a-service (PaaS) and cross-platform players. This list is focused on best-of-breed players. For more, see here.
Constellation considers the following criteria for these solutions:
- Support at least Phase 3 of the Constellation DevOps taxonomy, and Phase 4 in 12 months; ideally also Phase 5.
- Usage of AI/ML for more efficient DevOps aka AIOps or MLOps
- Developer friendly, share of mindset
- Visible DevOps evangelism
- 500+ customers
- Support for five (out of seven) continents
- On-premises, hybrid cloud, public cloud and multicloud DevOps support
- Out-of-the-box interfaces to popular deployment platforms
- Transparent and effective pricing and costing
The Constellation ShortList™
Constellation evaluates more than 20 solutions categorized in this market. The Constellation ShortList is determined by client inquiries, partner conversations, customer references, vendor selection projects, market share and internal research.
- Digital.ai (formerly XebiaLabs)
- New Relic
Frequency of Evaluation
Each Constellation ShortList will be updated once per year. There could be an update after six months, should the analyst deem it necessary.
Constellation clients may work with the analyst and research team to conduct a more thorough discussion of this Constellation ShortList. Constellation can also provide guidance in vendor selection and contract negotiation.