About This Constellation ShortList™
There are build-versus-buy decisions to make when it comes to data science. If you need image or video recognition, speech-to-text transcription, language translation, web-scale search, or temporary use of massive and/or state-of-the-art processing capacity, why build? These massive public cloud providers offer prebuilt machine learning (ML) and deep learning (DL) services that offer scalability and accuracy no mere enterprise can hope to achieve. What’s more, these prebuilt services are the starting points for growing “AutoML” and other automated data science capabilities. Data-savvy team members can use these services to build and train custom models without coding or data science expertise.
For organizations with data science teams, these cloud kingpins offer all the advanced compute capacity, elastic scalability and diverse data science libraries they’ll need. These teams may want to choose favored tools and notebooks or their own collaborative data science environments but leave the cognitive services, spiky projects, state-of-the-art GPU requirements and even the routine-but-episodic workloads to the cloud.
There have been no changes in the vendors selected for this list since the Q3 2019 update.
Constellation considers the following criteria for these solutions:
- On-demand cloud services for image/video recognition, multilanguage speech and text recognition, language translation, broad search and recommendation capabilities
- Low-code/no-code options for custom ML/DL model development
- Low-code/no-code options for building, deploying and maintaining bots and natural-language interfaces
- Extensive tool, notebook and ML/DL library options geared to data science professionals
- Collaborative environments for model development, deployment and ongoing performance monitoring
- Availability of state-of-the-art graphical processing unit (GPU) compute capacity
- Global presence, massive compute/storage/network capacity and the ability to satisfy country-specific data- residency requirements
The Constellation ShortList™
Constellation evaluates more than a dozen solutions categorized in this market. The Constellation ShortList is determined by client inquiries, partner conversations, customer references, vendor selection projects, market share and internal research.
- Alibaba Cloud
- Amazon Web Services
- Google Cloud Platform
- IBM Cloud
- Microsoft Azure
Frequency of Evaluation
Each Constellation ShortList will be updated once per year. There could be an update after six months, should the analyst deem it necessary.
Constellation clients can work with the analyst and research team to conduct a more thorough discussion of this ShortList. Constellation can also provide guidance in vendor selection and contract negotiation.