About This Constellation ShortList™
Data-generating applications are multiplying in the cloud, federated and virtualized management approaches are opening up access to data to more users, and data stores are now measured by the tens or hundreds of terabytes if not petabytes.
Metadata management vendors have emerged that can provide visibility into data and related assets—whether in one or more clouds, on-premises, or spread across hybrid-and multicloud deployments.. Enterprise data catalogs have gained traction as the way to make data more visible to all users. Leading metadata management vendors also address data governance needs, such as standardization of metadata, tracking of lineage, stewardship, and enforcement of data usage policies.
Added to this ShortList is data.world, which has seen significant growth in customers and users while also demonstrating innovation in the areas of automation and generative AI. IBM was dropped from this ShortList having shown limited signs of metadata-management and catalog-related investment and innovation over the last year.
Constellation considers the following criteria for these solutions:
- Automates the discovery of data and metadata across multiple sources—creating a centralized and evolving reference catalog of data and data-related assets that is accessible and understandable to both technical and business users
- Applies machine learning and artificial intelligence to automatically detect data, related assets (such as models) and usage patterns by groups and individuals
- Enables technical and business users with collaboration capabilities that can be used to rate and review data assets, annotate those assets and, if the user is authorized, to create or modify tags and classifications
- Helps users understand the definitions of data identified in the data catalog with supporting business glossaries and integrations with existing glossaries
- Supports data lineage, data governance and data access control, providing the ability to write and enforce business rules and data usage policies.
The Constellation ShortList™
Constellation evaluates more than a dozen solutions categorized in this market. This Constellation ShortList is determined by client inquiries, partner conversations, customer references, vendor selection projects, market share and internal research.
Frequency of Evaluation
Each Constellation ShortList is updated at least once per year. Updates may occur after six months if deemed necessary.
Constellation clients can work with the analyst and the research team to conduct a more thorough discussion of this ShortList. Constellation can also provide guidance in vendor selection and contract negotiation.