About This Constellation ShortList™
Data has become the lifeblood of organizations, powering insight into the latest business conditions, accelerating business decisions, driving better customer experience and powering new business models. Yet the task of ensuring that data is accessible, secure and well governed has never been more challenging. Data-generating applications are multiplying and moving into the cloud, self-service initiatives are opening up access to data to more users, and data lakes are now measured by the tens or hundreds of terabytes if not petabytes.
The good news is that metadata management vendors have emerged that can provide visibility into data and related assets—whether on-premises, in the cloud or spread across hybrid-cloud or even multicloud deployments—while also ensuring comprehensive data governance. Enterprise data catalogs have gained traction as the way to make data more visible to all users. Leading metadata management vendors also address data governance needs, such as standardization of metadata, tracking of lineage, stewardship and enforcement of data policies.
There have been no changes in the vendors included in this ShortList since its publication in Q3 2020.
Constellation considers the following criteria for these solutions:
- Find data and metadata across multiple sources products create a centralized reference index of data that is easily accessible to technical and business users
- Machine learning automatically discovers data assets and detects usage patterns
- Collaboration capabilities enables technical and business users to rate and review data assets, annotate what’s known about them and, if authorized, reject or modify tags and classifications
- Business glossary integration for users to better understand the definitions of data identified in the data catalog when glossaries are integrated or supported
- Supports and enhances data lineage, data governance, data access control, service-level and business rule insights, and policy-management and enforcement capabilities
The Constellation ShortList™
Constellation evaluates more than a dozen solutions categorized in this market. This Constellation ShortList is determined by client inquiries, partner conversations, customer references, vendor selection projects, market share and internal research.
Frequency of Evaluation
Each Constellation ShortList will be updated at least once per year. There could be an update after six months, should the analyst deem it necessary.
Constellation clients may work with the analyst and research team to conduct a more thorough discussion of this ShortList. Constellation can also provide guidance in vendor selection and contract negotiation.