About this Constellation ShortList™
Integration platform as a service (IPaaS) is a one-stop, cloud-based choice for supporting both data and application integration. IPaaS helps companies integrate software-as-a-service (SaaS) applications with other SaaS applications, SaaS applications with on-premises applications and cloud-based data with on-premises data. It also supports data-monetization scenarios, whereby data and insight pipelines serve multiple destinations.
On the cutting edge, IPaaS offerings are increasingly adding workflow, process automation and orchestration capabilities. What’s more, container- and API-based cloud architectures are emerging to support all deployment modes, whether on-premises or in public clouds.
Since the Q1 2020 update, Segment has been removed from this list as it has focused exclusively on customer data platform capabilities, a move underscored by its October 2020 acquisition by Twilio.
Constellation considers the following criteria for these solutions:
- An effective IPaaS is accessed and managed in the cloud and addresses both data-integration and application-integration scenarios.
- An IPaaS should support ease of use with drag-and- drop or point-and-click functionality. It should minimize manual coding and encourage repeatability and reuse through prebuilt connectors for popular data sources and data targets; ready-to-run parsing, filtering and data-transformation options; and prebuilt templates or connectors for integrating popular cloud- based and on-premises applications.
- An IPaaS should address the publication and management of APIs, essential in business-to- business and emerging Internet of Things (IoT) integration scenarios.
- Modern integration increasingly demands real-time (streaming) options as well as batch-oriented scenarios. Therefore, an IPaaS should address a range of latency requirements.
- Workflow and process automation capabilities are an emerging area for IPaaS. Also emerging are natural- language interfaces and computer-augmented suggestions and recommendations based on graph pattern analysis or machine learning.
The Constellation ShortList™
Constellation evaluates more than 15 solutions categorized in this market. This Constellation ShortList is determined by client inquiries, partner conversations, customer references, vendor selection projects, market share and internal research.
Frequency of Evaluation
Each Constellation ShortList will be updated at least once per year. There could be an update after six months, should the analyst deem it necessary.
Constellation clients may work with the analyst and research team to conduct a more thorough discussion of this Constellation ShortList. Constellation can also provide guidance in vendor selection and contract negotiation.