About This Constellation ShortList™
Many general-purpose relational database management systems can handle both transactional and routine analytical workloads, but this ShortList focuses on RDBMSs that can deliver the ultimate in analytical query performance even in deployments scaling into the hundreds of terabytes. These products also support high concurrency both in terms for number of queries and numbers of users. Finally, these products also handle advanced SQL and data science workloads, including machine learning, through extended support for algorithms expressed in non-SQL languages, such as Python and R.
Newly published in Q1 2021, this ShortList presents Constellation’s pick of analytical RDBMSs that are available both as software and as database services across multiple public clouds. This combination provides the best advantages of cloud computing while avoiding lock-in and fostering hybrid-deployment and cloud portability.
Constellation considers the following criteria for these solutions:
- Delivers the ultimate in query performance, even in high-scale deployments scaling into the hundreds of terabytes
- Supports high concurrency in terms of numbers of queries and numbers or users with advanced query optimization and workload management features
- Offers advanced SQL functionality and extended support for data-science workloads expressed in languages including Python and R
- Available as software for on-premises or hybrid-cloud deployment
- Available as a cloud service on multiple major public clouds
- Database software provider supports its own cloud service, offering service guarantees and a single source for support
The Constellation ShortList™
Constellation evaluates more than 20 solutions categorized in this market. This Constellation ShortList is determined by client inquiries, partner conversations, customer references, vendor selection projects, market share and internal research.
- Oracle Database
- SAP HANA/SAP Data Warehouse Cloud
- Teradata Vantage
Frequency of Evaluation
Each Constellation ShortList will be updated once per year. There could be an update after six months, should the analyst deem it necessary.
Constellation clients may work with the analyst and research team to conduct a more thorough discussion of this Constellation ShortList. Constellation can also provide guidance in vendor selection and contract negotiation.