About This Constellation ShortList™
With data volumes and variety exploding, data catalogs are fast becoming an indispensable resource for data professionals and data consumers alike. Data catalogs create an inventory of available data assets. The catalog may inventory the data assets of a data lake, multiple data lakes or it might span the enterprise, also including databases, point analytical systems, data lakes and cloud object stores.
Best-of-breed catalogs search and serve up insights into available data assets in automated ways while also providing collaborative tools that enable users to comment on and enhance what is known about the value and usage of that data. Data cataloging is important for any organization that wants to make the most of its data, particularly as data sources and data-driven applications multiply and as data scale and diversity grows.
There have been no changes in the selection of vendors in this list since the Q1 2019 update.
Constellation considers the following criteria for these solutions:
- Find data and metadata across multiple sources – products create a centralized reference index of data that is easily accessible to technical and business users
- Machine learning - automatically discovers data assets and detects usage patterns
- Collaboration capabilities – enables technical and business users to rate and review data assets, annotate what’s known about them and, if authorized, reject or modify tags and classifications
- Business glossary integration - users can better understand the definitions of data identified in the data catalog when glossaries are integrated or supported
- Supports and enhances data lineage, data governance, data access control, service-level and business rule insights, and enforcement capabilities
- Available as a standalone, dedicated catalog offering that is not a component that has to be purchased as part of a broader data-management or data-governance offering.
The Constellation ShortList™
Constellation evaluates over a dozen solutions categorized in this market. The Constellation ShortList is determined by client inquiries, partner conversations, customer references, vendor selection projects, market share, and internal research.
- Waterline Data
Frequency of Evaluation
Each Constellation ShortList evaluation will be updated every 180 days as needed.
If you would like to put our extensive expertise in vendor selections and contact negotiations to work for you, please contact us at ShortList@constellationr.com