About This Constellation ShortList™
The next generation of business intelligence (BI) and analytics products are harnessing heuristics, machine learning (ML) and automation to improve data access and data quality, suggest data sources and analyses, uncover previously hidden insights, and serve up predictions and suggest actions. Natural language (NL) query interfaces and NL generation features are making it easier for users without knowledge of query languages to develop insights and make better decisions based on data.
In the BI and analytics arena, these emerging ML-, automation- and NL-based features are best known as “augmented analytics” capabilities. Constellation sees augmented analytics as the next step for BI and analytics products. It will bring analytics to more users and closer to driving decisions and automated actions that may or may not require human analysis and interpretation.
The selection of vendors included remains unchanged from the Q3 2019 ShortList.
Constellation considers the following criteria for these solutions:
- Smart data-prep capabilities, including data profiling, cleansing and formatting, data-join recommendations, data enrichment and publishing, and governance capabilities
- Smart data discovery and analysis capabilities, including automated discovery, recommended tables and sources, and recommended visualizations
- Intent-driven recommendations based on behavior patterns by user, group, role, permissions, item popularity and data source
- Native or third-party natural language generation capabilities providing supporting textual descriptions around analyses for context and improved understanding
- Natural language query capabilities that support data exploration and analysis through typed in (or speech- to-text translated) conversational language rather than SQL code
- Smart predictive capabilities, including simple trending and more advanced automated forecasting and predictive modeling
The Constellation ShortList™
Constellation evaluates more than 30 solutions categorized in this market. This Constellation ShortList is determined by client inquiries, partner conversations, customer references, vendor selection projects, market share and internal research.
- IBM Cognos Analytics
- Microsoft Power BI
- Oracle Analytics Cloud
- Qlik Sense
- Salesforce Einstein Analytics
- SAP Analytics Cloud
Frequency of Evaluation
Each Constellation ShortList will be updated once per year. There could be an update after six months, should the analyst deem it necessary.
Constellation clients can work with the analyst and research team to conduct a more thorough discussion of this ShortList. Constellation can also provide guidance in vendor selection and contract negotiation.