Ten Things CIOs Need to Know About WebRTC webinar wrapup
Today we presented the webinar "Ten Things CIOs NEED to Know About WebRTC". Here are a few highlights from the event:
WebRTC (Web Real-Time Communications) is a technology that enables point-to-point or multipoint voice, video, and data communications without plugins.
- WebRTC is the next disruption
- WebRTC is native and built into web browsers. Currently being developed by Google, Mozilla, Opera, and a handfull of other communications companies.
- Voice, video, and data become part of the fabric of the internet; no longer a plugin or application. This technology will be embedded in everything we do on the internet.
- WebRTC will be compatible across browsers.
- WebRTC makes voice, video, and data ubiquitious across the devices we use
- Think of WebRTC as an enabler--like HTML; not a market
WebRTC creates opportunities
- Customer service
- Maintenance, break/fix services
Watch the webinar
Contact Dr. E. Brent Kelly
Constellation Research has published a report about the coming WebRTC revolution, "Ten Things CIOs Should Know About WebRTC".
Included in this report:
- Where's the money for me in WebRTC?
- How WebRTC will disrupt the current communications industry
- The timing of the WebRTC standard
- The islands WebRTC will create (for better or for worse)
- Why offerings like Skype may not go away
- Why Microsoft opposes WebRTC as it's presently constituted
- How WebRTC will play into the world of mobile devices including smartphones and tablets
- Why WebRTC may not disrupt all complex collaboration, only most of it
- The millions of interfaces that will emerge to invoke WebRTC capabilities
- Identifying and classifying the WebRTC players
- Eight recommendations organizations can take now to prepare for WebRTC's disruptive capabilities